4.The Blue Button

 "Good morning ma'am, welcome to Davidson Mortuaries. How may I help you today ?" The man said. In front of him stood an old lady. She had wrinkly old skin, bony fingers and silky white hair. She gently smiled saying," I'm here for a funeral for my young Arty..Oh dear boy, you remind me of my son...I just wish he was still alive." She looked at him and patted his cheek. The man nodded." I am very sorry for your loss, Madam. Is it polite to ask how he passed away ?" His knuckles rapped on his wooden counter with every second on the clock. The woman wiped a tear on her cheek and replied saying,

 " Arthur was out one night, probably with his friends. He would often go on these escapades, but he would always return by eleven. There wasn't a day he was late. But I assumed that he was being lousy with his time, and I waited and waited. Hoping for a knock on the door.I didn't know how long I had been waiting on the couch, but a knock on the door woke me up.  I rushed to the door, very crossed indeed, ready to tell him off, but he wasn't there. On my front porch was a policeman. I could not stop sobbing after he told me what happened. My...my..." The old lady burst into heavy sobs.
The grim faced man stopped her," Miss, you mustn't cry. You can stop, if you want to." He advised her.
The old lady shook her head,"I'm fine. I'm just a little shaken up after the incident. They said Arthur was found in an alleyway, with horrible things done to him with knives. There were no signs of his friends. And all they found on the scene was this;"
She  fished out a little blue plastic button out from her purse.
 "A button. Whoever did this lost a button."She said. 
"The investigation is still on ?" Asked the mortician. The old lady bobbed her head in response. 
The man stood up and hugged her. "I hope I can console you, and bring you peace. It will bring Arthur's soul to peace too."  
The old lady grinned again,"You are a very nice young man. You would've liked my Arty."
"I sure would." He replied.

Sometime later, the lady left the mortuary leaving her details in his notebook. "Martin !" He called out to the janitor. "Clean up the restroom please, a customer left a green stain on the floors yesterday."
 The janitor grinned at him. "Sure, sir !" Before leaving the room, the janitor frowned at the mortician. "Oh sir, you've lost a button there...my wife is good at sewing on buttons. I'm sure she could help !"





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

1.Threads Of Love